Tuesday 28 May 2013

Google's new Head of Design: "I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag"

In an interview with marketing and design magazine The Drum, 25-year creative veteran Patrick Collister discusses his new job, his philosophy and being dubbed as Google's "head of design". 

“I think there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding about this,” he says, instantly debunking his new title inherited from his predecessor Irene Au.

“In America I was reported as being the head of design for Google, and Google did have a head of design but that’s somebody who’s completely responsible for the way Google pages look online, responsible for the way the software programmes open up – that’s definitely not me, that’s a very big job and I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag. Jingles and slogans is my background."
But Google, among the most recognised brands in the world, still has need of creative minds in both its design and marketing business - and Collister's experience is the conduit. 
“My role here is really to bring ad thinking to what is essentially a media agency. Google is filled with some incredibly clever people, but they look at platforms and they look at the way different media opportunities knit together.
“They’re aware that you still need to have ideas to fill these spaces, whatever they may be, and they’ve got people inside the building who are quite capable of filling it. My role is to come here and actually fill it with stuff that is inspiring and is best in class. Now that’s not to say that Google is turning into an ad agency, because it’s not.”

Collister goes on to discuss the ethics and morality of marketers, the advent of big data and his theory on direct marketing - which you can read here.

Creativesrus support all manner of creative minds - whether designers or marketers - and do our utmost to match them to the best jobs on the market. Host your portfolio FREE today and get hired now!

No comments:

Post a Comment